Ernest Hayes Almas (1900 - 1939)
Ernest Hayes Almas - & - Ellen May King
He married Ellen May King who was born at #26 Lordship Road, Cheshunt, Herts, England, 27 January, 1903; christened at St. Mary's, Cheshunt.
Ernie & Nelly Almas
Ellen May Almas, with baby Mary Lillian Almas
Ernest was a market gardener on Graham's Lane, president of the area fruit and vegetable growers association, and very innovative in his methods. He built and owned the first privately-owned cold storage in Canada for the purposes of preserving his fruit and vegetables before taking them to market (usually to Hamilton Market). He had received his land - part of the old Stevenson farm from his father Newman James Almas when he married. It was James practice to give each of his sons some land at the time of their marriage.
The children of Ernest Almas and Ellen May King were:
1. Mary Lilian Almas - born Burlington, ON
2. James Austin Almas - 1927, Burlington, ON - died 1943 at Graham's Lane Farm, Burlington, ON
3. Muriel Elizabeth Isabel Almas - born 14 July, 1928, Burlington, ON - died February, 1951, Burlington, ON; buried at Greenwood Cemetery.
4. William Ernest Almas - born Burlington, ON
5. Murray Almas - born Burlington, ON
Ellen watering 'hotbeds'
Ellen with Jim and baby Muriel
Ernest was active in his church - Freeman Gospel Tabernacle, where he was an elder, Sunday School superintendent and teacher. He died following a cerebral hemorrhage just prior to his 29th birthday.
Ernest Hayes Almas
(l-r) James, Ernest, Mary, Ellen, holding Muriel
Back to Main Index Page